How familiar does this sound?…
You want to use video in your business and you have finally got up your nerve to put yourself in front of the camera, and actually DID IT! You have filmed yourself and feel really proud about it. Now you’re all excited about the opportunities using video will bring your business and inspired about all of the topics you could make videos about to create impact with your audience. THEN you watch the footage you have filmed, and your heart sinks. WOW! That doesn’t look (or sound) how you expected it to! As it is, there’s no way you want to use your footage for your business. You don’t even know if it’s salvageable. What a waste of time and energy that was!
BUT don’t despair! There is actually quite a lot you can do to below-average video footage to fix it up and make it usable.
Check out the list below of 20 DIY video mistakes that CAN be fixed by clever editing…
- Too light or dark
- Washed out colours
- Background colour clashes, is a bit ‘loud’ or not on brand
- Camera going in and out of focus
- You are a silhouette against a really bright background
- Interrupted by a loud noise such as a truck or plane, or door slam
- Dog bark
- Background buzz or hum
- Background audio too distracting? Too windy for example.
- Too quiet
- Picked up someone else’s conversation louder than your voice
- Washing or a pile of kid’s toys in background
- Someone snuck into the background
- Framing a bit off, for example the part of a doorway in the edge of shot?
- Subject is too far away
- The horizon is wonky
- Interrupted by your kids or partner
- No camera operator, so movement, and big pauses at beginning and end
- Did you sneeze?
- Talked too much, went off topic or generally just waffled
It is worth point out though, there is only so much magic you can work in the edit suite…
Here are the two major DIY mistakes that be can’t be fixed;
- Wobbly footage because you haven’t used a tripod or had your camera on a stable surface
- Footage that is out of focus the entire time, or continually goes in and out of focus, or is focused in the wrong part of the shot (for example, you are blurry but the plant beside you is fully in focus.
How do you feel now about your footage now? Do you reckon you could save it?
WANT TO TRY EDITING IT YOURSELF, BUT NEED SOME TRAINING TO GET YOU GOING?
OR DO YOU WANT ME TO TAKE THE FOOTAGE OFF YOUR HANDS AND LOOK AFTER THE EDITING FOR YOU?
I offer editing only services from only $250+gst per video (type of video, requirements and durations may affect the final cost of your video).
I offer a no-obligation appraisal of any footage of you have taken to let you know what magic I can work with it before you commit.
Let’s get your videos out in front of the audience you want to connect with.